Skip to main content
Due to COVID-19 restrictions our Visitor Information Centre is currently closed. Phone 1800 557 094 for further information.

Get in Touch

  • Granite Island Recreation Park, Granite Island Road, Victor Harbor SA, Australia

Opening Times

Access after dark by tour only

Kaiki Trail Granite Island

This walking trail takes you on a journey around Granite Island Recreation Park.  Granite Island is around 62 acres and is one of the most recognised ecological attractions in Victor Harbor due to its unusual granite formations with crashing white waves, elevated views, flora and fauna, and walking trails that provide outstanding panoramic coastal views.

Length: 9km loop
Time: 45 minutes
Grade: Grade 1, Easy Walk
Terrain: Undulating with some stairs
Start: Victor Harbor Information Centre

View the trail map below, download the Kaiki Trail map, or visit the Victor Harbor Information Centre or Council office to collect a map. Children’s treasure hunt maps are also available from the Information Centre.

Points of Interest

  • The Causeway from the mainland is around 630 metres in length. Construction commenced in 1862, and the Victoria Pier was completed in 1864. The Causeway did not extend all the way to the island until 1875. It was built to provide a port and safe anchorage for trading ships. In 1899 swimming baths were located off the Victoria Pier, they were both demolished in 1955 after being damaged by a storm.
  • Site of the Harbour Masters Cottage which was established in 1867 and demolished in 1959.
  • Site of the Penguin Interpretive Centre which was operated from 1996 until 2017.
  • Screwpile Jetty was first used in 1881 by the coastal steamer Penola. 260 bales of wool were loaded.
  • Breakwater which was started in 1878 and completed in 1882. It is 1,000 ft long, 30 ft wide at the top and 200 ft wide on seabed. It was created from 250,000 tons of granite taken from the northern side of Granite Island, no granite block used weighed less than 20 tons.
  • Lighthouse erected in 1892 run on kerosene, this was replaced by a continuous gas operated light in November 1951.
  • Sculptured granite Seal, completed by sculptor Sylvio Apponyi in 1992 who also constructed the famous Warland Reserve Whale Tail fountain.